Whilst they worked on him I went back
home to try and find the culprit that had made Benny so sick. Initially
I thought it must have been a snake bite. But when I found a dug up
Daffodil bulb and took it into the vet, they informed me that Daffodils,
the leaves, flowers and especially the bulbs were extremely toxic to
Benny spent 7 hours fighting for his
little life. Unfortunately the toxins were too strong and his body went
into shutdown. Benny passed away on the 7 May at 9.30pm.
I am telling
this story to share Benny’s story and
hopefully create awareness about pets and toxic plants - especially
For a full grown dog, only 15g of a
Daffodil plant needs to be digested for it to be fatal. 50% of dogs who
ingest any part of a Daffodil plant will die. It can be very tricky to
diagnose as symptoms present much like those of a snake bite.
There is also no known antidote.